Apps have exploded and are transforming our lives. There seems to be an app for just about everything. From counting calories to reserving a table at your favorite restaurant. Just today I read about a new iPhone app that will generate a resignation letter for you and send it to your boss. But beyond transforming our lives these apps have the power to transform our businesses in a major way. And for small business owners that are already budget conscious, there are great apps for both the web and mobile devices that can impact your business big time.
So where do you find them?
Well I’ve got five resources that can help you find just the web apps you need to run your business the way it needs to run in the 21st century.
1. GetApp.com – GetApp is a marketplace for business applications. With over 4,300 apps to choose from they offer a way for potential buyers to not only discover but also compare web-applications for their business. A great thing about GetApp is that they break their apps down by business need. So you can compare marketing apps, customer management apps, finance & accounting apps, and more.
2. Thesmallbusinessweb.com – Imagine a network of companies that collaborate and create web apps to help you, the small business owner, be able to compete with the Goliaths of the world. That’s what you get with The Small Business Web. They bring together companies that are creating web apps by utilizing their APIs to create great solutions for the small business community. They have a vast directory of companies pooling their resources together and are always looking to bring in companies that have an open API to collaborate.
3. AppSumo.com – I’m going to sum this company up with one word. WOW! They are without a doubt the Groupon of web applications. They operate under pretty much the same premise as Groupon and other group buying websites. By partnering with companies they offer incredible deals on bundles of apps. Imagine getting hundreds of dollars worth of web apps at a fraction of the price.
4. WebAppolution.com – A new website to the game, WebAppolution is a web magazine that focuses on, you guessed it, the latest web apps and services. WebAppolution profiles the latest web and mobile apps for both business and everyday life. You’ll find an assortment of different app categories and article to browse through so that you stay up-to-date on the latest in the app world.
Editor’s note: WebAppolution seems to have closed down since this post was published.
5. Mobile Apps – While the above four focus on web apps, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention anything about mobile apps. First of all if you’re a small business owner or aspiring entrepreneur and you’re not sporting either an iPhone or Android device then you need to get in the game and upgrade NOW! Not only will your life be easier but you’ll finally be living in the 21st century. Once you do have an iPhone or Android device, both devices have an app marketplace with great tools for your business.
Apps for your Business and Lifestyle
Some of my personal favorite apps that I use both for business and everyday life can be found on the sites mentioned above.
Evernote.com is great for both personal and business use. If you’re ready to get rid of your notebook just start using Evernote. There’s both a web app and mobile app that sync’s up and allows you to take notes, photographs, and record voice notes so you’ll have them wherever you go.
For those of you who are ready to ditch the fax machine, there’s a new web service I recently came across called HelloFax. HelloFax.com is great for those who don’t want to purchase a fax machine. It allows you to send faxes, sign documents, and fill out forms securely all from your computer.
Finally, one of my personal favorites is Wufoo. Wufoo.com takes all the complications out of creating online forms. This simple to use html form builder is great for making anything from a simple contact form to a more complex order entry form for your website.
Start getting appy. Web apps and mobile apps are great tools that are meant to help you be more productive, efficient, and hopefully profitable. The beauty of these apps is that if you come across one that isn’t working for your business, you can easily find another that will suit your needs. Technology is not meant to be a hassle but a way to make things easier.